The ProMedica Coldwater Regional Hospital's History
Wade Memorial HospitalWade Memorial Hospital was the first public hospital in Branch County. The hospital was founded by a surgeon from Fremont, Indiana. It was constructed from a private residence at a cost of $56,000. The hospital was destroyed by fire in December of 1937. Local supporters, including attorney W. Glenn Cowell and the Branch County Medical Society, spearheaded a drive to build a new hospital. The Kellogg Foundation and the Public Works Administration provided 90 percent of the needed funds. Local citizens and businesses donated the remainder.
Serving Healthcare NeedsThe Community Health Center of Branch County (CHC) opened its doors on November 18, 1939. CHC had 36 beds and 70 employees to serve the healthcare needs of the community. Major additions have been made to the original structure since then. The first addition was made in 1955 and another in 1971. A 27,000 square foot renovation and 16,000 square foot addition were completed in 2003. CHC now has 71 acute medical and 16 adult psychiatric beds with nearly 500 employees serving the Branch County area.
Medical services include anesthesiology, bariatric surgery, dentistry, emergency medicine, otolaryngology, family practice, general surgery, gynecology, internal medicine, neurology, obstetrics, oncology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pathology, pediatrics, podiatry, psychiatry, pulmonology, radiology, urology, vascular & non-cardiac thoracic surgery, and wound healing.
As of January 1, 2018 the hospital transitioned to ProMedica Coldwater Regional Hospital (PMCRH) and has a full campus which houses not only the hospital, but the Family Medicine Clinic, the Houghton Family Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Center, Home Health and Hospice services, the PMCRH Pediatric and Adolescent Center, the Cancer Center, Wound Healing Center, and Coldwater Ear, Nose, & Throat. Located off campus are the Union City Medical Center and the Quincy Clinic.